Monday, October 7, 2013

"Catching A Ride"

Hello I am the woman that gave Bob a ride when he took his hitch hiking adventure during college. I am not one of Bob's good friends but I will not forget my experience of giving him a ride. If you have read Bob's book, Love Does, which came out many years after this experience, you will find this same story from Bob's perspective in the chapter, "Catching A Ride."
I can remember the day crystal clearly. I was driving down the interstate along the coast and I saw a man walking down the interstate. He did not look homeless, he just seemed a little dazed and he almost looked confused. As he saw my car coming towards him he stuck out his thumb for the hitch hiking signal to see if I could give him a ride. I pulled the car over and he asked where I was going (an unspoken rule of hitch hikers) I told him I was headed to a wedding in San Francisco. He asked if I minded if he caught a ride, I said of course not, hop in. It had been just a few minutes down the road after Bob had hopped in the car and he asked what was in the black box in the back seat of my car. I told him it was my harp and that I was doing the music for the wedding I was headed to. I did not think that it was very strange that he asked what it was, but what did seem some what strange is the relief on his face to know that it was just a harp. I asked him if he was ok and he began telling me of the past car he had caught a ride in. He told me that he had been without a ride for almost a day, so he was ready to give in to anyone willing to give him a ride. So when an old run down VW van pulled over he hopped in. He told me this was his first mistake because he did not check to see where the van was headed before he got in the car. He then started describing the driver. The driver was a man, maybe forty years old, had a huge beard, and had a wild man look. Bob said that he noticed rose petals in the dash board of the car and a picture of feet. Right then Bob began to feel weirded out. Bob said he tried to remain calm, so he decided to ask the man questions such as where are you headed, what do you like to do, etc. the man never gave an answer. Bob then asked what the man's name was, and he told him his name was satan. Bob said he immediately told the man to let him out of the car because he was so scared. And then I was the next car to give him a ride. As he told me the story I now realized why he looked so relieved to be in my car.
Bob's story was no doubt creepy and scary, but it also reminded me of something. As Christians we have to choose who we "catch a ride with" the people we hang out with and spend time with is who we will become. We need to be more cautious and ask people "where they are headed" so that we know we are not headed towards a path of destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment