Monday, October 7, 2013

"There's No More Room"

Hello my name is Brandon! If you are reading this you probably have read my amazing friend Bob Goff's book, Love Does. And if you have read his book you have read the chapter in his book, "There's More Room". That chapter in the book contains a story about Bob and I and one of the adventures we went on together. Bob is a great friend of mine and I love being able to go on countless adventures with him. Every time I am with Bob he reveals to me the invitation to fully live. To fully live is to wake up each morning and actually live a life of complete engagement, a life of whimsy, a life where love does. That is one reason we are able to go on adventures together, because we want to fully live, to fully participate in this amazing life for one more day. "You know what it is about someone that makes them a friend? A friend doesn't just say things; a friend does."
The story of that chapter begins with Bob and I. We were in Washington D.C. taking care of some business when on one night back to our hotel we saw a ton of cars parked outside of the Library of Congress. This normally would not have seemed strange except that it was past midnight when we saw this. I am one of those people that takes risks and chances; I want to have fun. So I looked at Bob, hoping he was thinking what I was thinking. And he was, we knew we had to figure out what was going on. So like two boys wanting adventure we made our way closer to the Library of Congress. There we saw before our eyes a sign that read, "National Treasure 2". We were stunned! We knew we had to figure out a way to get onto the set. So I told Bob that we should go to our hotel, very quickly, and change clothes to look like we were part of the movie set crew; we did. We arrived back at the Library of Congress about thirty minutes later dressed to look like we were workers on the set. We had to be very secretive; we hid from security guards and were trying to figure out the best way to get on the set. Up ahead we saw an entrance for staff, so we headed towards it. I felt kind of nervous approaching the entrance in fear we might get caught but I did not say anything. Then I got really freaked out because at the pass gate there was a security guard, I knew we were about to be in big trouble. Somehow, only by a miracle we made it passed the guard and he did not suspect anything. We entered the set and hid so that we could see what was going on. We did not see any particular scene being filmed, but assumed it was the part they wre looking for the preident's secret book. We remained there for a good while watching, but I told Bob that it was probably time to go. We looked around to find the best way out. We decided it best to follow a crowd out so we started following the closest group of people. Then all of a sudden as we were walking I spotted Nicolas Cage and Diane Kruger get right in front of us. My night and I'm sure Bob's night was made.
This is just one of the things that I love about Bob, he is willing to go to any extent or risk anything to make a friend happy and to live his life fully. Bob's life is a testimony not just to me, but to anyone who meets him or reads his book. What else I love about him is that you do not have to really know Bob to experience his love and the presence of the warmth of his life.
Bob has related this idea of living fully to not only living fully, but accepting Christ's invitation to live fully with Him. All God really wants is us, and we decide to live our lives fully for Him other people will see this and the joy that it brings to us and want it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment